Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Overly...Gendered...Clothing: Dinosaur VS Princess

Today was a shopping day. My daughter, Aanya, wanted to buy a MONSTER T-shirt. Now, that was a desire hard to be fulfilled. Monster T-shirt for girls? I don't see things like bugs, dinosaurs, trucks, rockets, batman, superman etc. on clothes marketed to girls. They are the so called masculine icons. In general, they are hard to find amongst the racks of pink Princess, Dora, lady bug, butterflies or unicorn adorned girls clothing.

So, yeah, in my mind, I had decided to shop in the boys section, which honestly I don't mind. My girl at this tender age isn't taught to like just the Princesses. She is fond of Super heros, Dinosaurs, Airplanes...and she simply loves blue.

We stopped at Carters and before I could guide Aanya, she went straight to the boy's section, which BTW she wasn't aware off, she just marched towards her target- MONSTER and grabbed a T-Rex T-shirt.

Later while returning back home she asked me, " Mummy, Is this T-shirt for boys?" Not really knowing how to respond to that, I simply answered "She can wear it too"

Throughout the drive, I kept thinking, Someone please make Dinosaur T-shirts in girls fit too. And please! PINK Superman will not do. Superman is Blue and Red and you can't fool a girl by offering her a pink Superman.

No comments:

Post a Comment