Saturday, August 2, 2014

Smile. Click. Say cheese. Click.




Look! She's dancing. Click.
OMG! She's rolling. Click.
Ooh! Such a cute hairstyle. Click.
New drawing. Good work. Click.
New clothes. So pretty. Click.

Have we gotten so caught up in capturing every moment of our children's lives?  that we are actually missing out on moments? 

The other day we were in a park and I saw a Mom with a high end camera constantly taking pictures of her children playing. She was barely watching them, just clicking...
During school plays, I see, parents don't enjoy the program, all they do is try to get perfect shots...
Picnics, Vacations, Birthday parties too mean lots and lots of pictures of children from different angles in different poses...
Ofcourse, we all want to document big things of their lives, but constantly taking pictures with no purpose?

And I have to agree, I do it too. I find myself taking pictures of my daughter all the time. When I go into the picture folder on my laptop, I find hundreds of photos of my daughter. Its ridiculous. And I know parents who have thousands, beyond ridiculous.

When we take pictures, do we think even for a second why are we taking it? what’s the purpose? Is this to help my memory of something? Is this to play around and be silly? Is this to communicate? What I am communicating to whom?

When we take so many pictures, we just get a filtered view instead of true reality, esp when we ask them to smile for it. Are we communicating the message that they shouldn't be real self for pictures? 

I think we should take a step back and try to experience our children more, instead of grabbing camera or iPhone whenever any adorable thing happens. Its the experience that creates memory and not pictures. Take pictures, but just a couple. Involve more with children playing, singing and dancing. 

What say camera happy parents?








No comments:

Post a Comment