Monday, February 16, 2015

Valentine's Day: No big deal (to me)

Alright! I get it, its a Valentine's Day today. Otherwise, why would Kroger flower shop, which on normal days is deserted and empty, be full of flowers especially roses and 3 staff members selling and packing the bouquets... The cash counters having long queues of people holding flower and gifts. For some reason, retailers think women revert back to their childhood preferences on February 14th...what else would explain the flood of stuffed animals displayed? :)

A friend asked me if I had any plans for the V-day and my answer was No. Not that, I have anything against this day, its just that Puneet and I never celebrated Valentine's Day. Never. Our first Valentine's Day together didn’t feel any more special than any other day. He always showered me with love and affection, so V-Day just didn’t seem to be such a big deal. No gifts, no flowers. I always like spontaneous love gift from him compared to obligatory offering made on this day.

So, back to Kroger, I saw many happy faces, faces in anticipation and women dressed up to maybe going for a party or a quite romantic dinner with her partner. It all looked nice. Somehow, I feel this day is more like a festival now. People have started devoting an entire week for Valentine. Preparation for the day, much in advance. Massage centers and salons generate quite a business on this single day. My own favorite hair studio was promoting 'True Romance' by promoting perfect style for Valentine's Day date( Ha ha!).

Amongst all this madness, I really liked the "Family Day" event organised by Georgia Museum of Art, where the kids had to explore the playful multimedia works of Italian artist Piero Lerda for inspiration, then make own collaged valentine.







So, if the essence of Valentine's Day was to make the day extra sweet, this one event made it. I like this idea of Valentine more than the force-fed images of colorful bouquets, chocolate covered strawberries, teddy bears, lingerie and any number of other kinds of gifts we are seduced into expecting from those who profess to love us.

Hope you all had a great loved Valentine's Day!

P.S. I started writing this post on Feb 14th, and posting it today....:)

1 comment:

  1. Love those cards...they are so cute...and colorful...

    ReplyDelete