Monday, July 21, 2014

No, Mommy! You can't be sick.

On our way home from Publix today morning, my daughter, Aanya, asked me if we can stop by at the park, so that she can play. I agreed. There were many kids around her age playing, so I asked her to join them while I sit on the bench and watch. She wanted me to play with her. I said, ''Aanya, I am not well today and I need to take it easy because if my health gets worse, who's going to take care of her". After some thinking she replied " Its OK if you are not well Mom, you can still play, we can call daddy to take care of you later"

I had this conversation with her today and it suddenly made me wonder, what does a sick day look like for a stay-at-home mother? Exactly like any other day - kids need to be fed, taken to school, play with them, run errands, if important. Any answer?

When I woke up one morning, couple of days back with a tickle in my throat, I pushed it to the back of my mind. No, no, it's nothing, I'm not sick, I told myself. Later that day, I started having slight headache. Ignore it; you're fine, I said. Yesterday morning I woke up with a scratchy throat and sinus pain and I ignored it again as there were lot of things to be done yesterday. Eventually, by the evening I had to admit, that yes, I was sick.

In a perfect world, I would call in sick and take to my bed. I'd surround myself with quilts, tissues, hot tea, and Amazon videos while I rested in a quiet house. In a slightly less perfect world, I'd have my husband not go to work today or come home from work early while I recuperate. In my actual world, neither of those things are available to me, so I am just surviving the best way I know how. Here are a few things that seem to help me hang on:

1. Make things easy for Aanya to help herself: I cut lots of fruits and kept in a bowl on the table. Along with it, a basket is full of her snacks. She can have whatever she wants without disturbing me.

2. Be Ok with entertaining herself, in whatever form: Today is not an ideal day to be picky about what she's doing for fun. As long as she's occupied. I am happy. Even if that means lots of Amazon instant videos.

3. Let everything wait for a while: Laundry will have to wait, the dishes, the clutter pile, they all have to wait while I rest for sometime.
 
How do you deal with being sick while managing a household? Share your tips and advice below!

No comments:

Post a Comment