Monday, March 16, 2015

Tech or No Tech

Recently a friend posted on her blog that how Technology today has greatly reduced family time. To that I replied, me and my family is technologically backward and we enjoy being in that state. Life is simple. I honestly can't imagine my daughter using an iPad to draw pictures, I would rather give her some crayons and draw some real pictures. I can't imagine her playing video games or games on iPad yet, I would rather play monopoly or chutes and ladders indoor and tag or hide and seek outdoors. But that's purely my perspective and it doesn't make me right or others (who are passionate about technology) wrong. The only thing wrong, I believe, is excessive use of Technology. It in itself is a fantastic tool for any age, provided its used sparingly.

I was having a discussion with another friend who had a very valid point. His cousin, when he was 8-9 years old was given a computer. Having a computer in 80s was a big thing. He used to practice aggressively on it and today he's a real good software engineer. So if today, his son who is 3 would want an iPad, he wouldn't resist buying him one. Computer was yesterday's Technology, iPad is today's Technology.

Fair enough. The only thing that hurts me personally is, Technology today is making kids grow too fast too soon. Its keeping kids busy all the time. OK, you are getting bored, let's watch a movie Or here's the iPad, play some games on it. That's how we parents take it easy.

In one of my previous blog I mentioned how a mother spent some quality time with her daughter that absolutely melted my heart. And in another instance, I watched a mom letting her daughter eat dinner at a restaurant while watching something on a tablet. There wasn't a single bit of interaction between the two. I am not judging her, she surely must be having some reasons, but that's how we take it easy.

Just today, I was talking to my husband and I suggested why not unplug at least once a week. Power down the computer, put away the phone and spend time with paper books, getting reacquainted with an old hobby or our backyard or anything but electronics. Sounds good to me.

And because it's Summer now... I am going to spend most of my time outdoors playing with my daughter and husband. And to you my technology savvy friends, for once get out from your tech shell and have a race with your children, cook dinner with your spouse, watch out for stars and constellation at night, develop a hobby, read books, go biking and more importantly laugh out loud with each other....

No comments:

Post a Comment