Tuesday, March 17, 2015

The 'Ghee' Story...



Ok, So here I was making Ghee, and I heard a voice "What are you making, Mumma? It smells so bad"....LOL...I suddenly remembered how as a child I used to dislike the smell of Ghee when my mother prepared it. The unpleasant aroma of ghee in the entire house would last many hours. And I would ask my mom to make it only when we were at school. But that's just smell, other than that, I loved to eat it; on rotis, on rice, in dal, in sweets and sometimes would eat one teaspoon just like that. I would even carry ghee to college and add it to my meal, just to make the canteen food interesting. Aah! memories!  It never bothered me how much fattening it was(if it was!). It never bothered me then, it never bothers me now. Ghee is considered as a metaphor of 'mother's love', and my mom made me eat it all the time. She would say "Kids need fat". At that time, I never imagined I would ever make ghee and feed my family, but here I am...feeding the goodness of this magical fat.

It often confuses me when I meet people who are reluctant to add ghee to their diet and comment "Oh, you are thin, you can afford to eat it"... Afford means what? We all can afford to eat good fat. Right?

Honestly, it is one of the most misunderstood food in India today. Yes, anything eaten in large portions is harmful and Ghee is no exception. It is a saturated fat and might lead to obesity. But it is one of those good saturated fat that is absorbed directly into the liver and burnt as energy. It is super high in nutrition.

However, the key is to eat ghee made from grass fed cow’s milk, a pure, organic version that doesn’t include any vegetable fats or preservatives. We do find it in stores, but because I am not sure of its purity, I prefer making it myself from organic unsalted butter (Thankfully, I don't have to churn out the butter from milk, like my mother did back in those days)

A simple Dal Chawal with ghee is the bestest food you can ever have. What say? I am drooling ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment