Thursday, March 19, 2015

Style Me Pretty Living "Room". A DIY Project

Here I present to you all, another room (one you had seen earlier, Dining Room) of my Imaginarium: 

A Modern Living Room

Everyone agrees that the kitchen is the heart of the home, but I tend to believe, its the Living room where the heart is. Its the first room that you or your guests see when you enter the house, its the room where most of the activities happen. And I always hear it saying " Style me Pretty" :)

When I looked at the room while it was still under construction, it appeared a large blank canvas for me. A canvas that was waiting for me to give it some color, some character, some personality.


Since, we already have a Family room for low key activities, I decided to give this room a formal and sophisticated feel, hence Modern setting. Modern style is all about minimalism and neutrality. Clean lines, simple color schemes and angular pieces are standard to modern style. OK, I am not an Interior Designer ( if that's what you are thinking:)) but I do understand the essentials of decoration.

So here's how I went about styling the living room:

1. Chose a neutral color palette and angular furniture: After window shopping for about 2 months, found this amazing sectional at a store in Atlanta.


2. Glass coffee table: Glass is a shiny material that remains relatively low-key, which works well in many modern living rooms. Luckily, found this table in the same store.


 3. Spread out a bright red rug: Thought, if I wanted to add a bright burst of color, I must find a bold shade that makes a strong statement. Bought this one from IKEA.


4. Constructed bold patterned curtains: While shopping at IKEA, came across this beautiful fabric, that I instantly fell in love with. Honestly, such 'bold pattern' was not in the plan. Infact, patterned curtain was not in the plan. Curtain was supposed to be plain and simple. But as they say, plan often changes...:) Constructed curtains myself, and that's when I felt the room was getting some character.


5. Made some statement pieces of artwork: Just to create a focal point in an otherwise a neutral room. In my earlier blog, I mentioned how I ended up making a mosaic artwork. The other, bird painting, I had made a couple of years back. And by chance, it went well with the color scheme.



And now....after putting all these pieces together, here's what I created...



And finally, the before and after picture 


Leather, glass and metal are iconic materials in modern design. So, I tried to incorporate all of these here. The only thing I feel missing, is a statue or sculpture or something more on the fireplace mantle. Still looking for the right one. Let me know your suggestions on this.

Hope you've enjoyed following along as much as I enjoyed decorating it. Thanks!!

4 comments:

  1. Wow Ritcha love the final room...what a lovely effort

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kitchen is where you have the heart of the stomach. :-) Beautiful decor. A green plant will balance the lonely green panel on the wall.

    ReplyDelete