Friday, May 1, 2015

Potty Training an infant or a young toddler: My approach...


 Aanya was completely diaper free by 18 months. She was poop trained by the time she was a year old and pee trained by the time she was18 months old. It often surprises parents when I say this. Her teachers at daycare were amazed when I sent her there without a diaper/s. Infact, just yesterday someone asked me how I trained her. So here it is- my approach to potty training, some simple beliefs, and how I think you can potty train your young child too.

I started training her, the moment she started sitting all by herself, which was by 6-7 months. I bought an infant potty chair and made her sit on it for sometime everyday during morning hours. I would sit in front of her and read her a book or talked to her or played something, while she sat there watching me. It worked. Soon she learnt to go potty first thing in the morning and I rarely changed a poopy diaper beyond 7 months of age.

Some of my beliefs for the process were/are:
  1. If kids can signal hunger, they can signal wanting to go potty too: Kids cry when they are hungry and we train them to ask for food as they grow up. I strongly believe it is the same with potty training. When the child is too young to go to the bathroom by himself or herself, we have to watch for the signals and take them to the bathroom. And in this process, patience is an important virtue.
  2. Bodies have a rhythm: We eat at regular intervals and we go bathroom at regular intervals. If we cultivate these rhythms, it becomes a healthy habit.
  3. Be ready: We should be okay with rushing our child to the potty when we see that little pressure cringe on his or her face, even if we are at a friend’s place or in a mall or anywhere. Infact, be ready at the middle of the night too.
How we trained Aanya:
  1. Understood her rhythm and made the start: Aanya soiled her diaper twice a day, usually at the same time and the moment she started sitting by herself- that was when I started. Just before her expected time of pooping, I would make her sit on her potty and talked to her. Before I knew it, she would poop. It was not instant, it took a couple of days, but the point is, it happened. The feel of no diaper and potty chair is important. 
  2. Cheer in excitement: I always made a big deal whenever she pooped or peed in her potty, like clapping, cheering, hugging. It made her excited too. She began to associate her action to happy outcome. Even today, I appreciate her when she uses potty.
  3. Noticed the signs: Poop signals are hard to miss in infants. Their faces crunch up. The moment I saw this sign, I would rush her to potty. These off schedule potty needs were rare, esp after  her morning and evening rhythm was set.
  4. Diaper free bottoms worked: Not sure why we delayed in this, but when Aanya turned 17 months old and we were to shift to a new location where we had rented a carpeted house. Soiling a carpet scared me and I decided to peep train her before we shift. One weekend we left her diaper free. Realised, she had never sensed her pee, so it was important to have a few accidents, the feeling of wetness would quickly pee train her. And It Did. Soon after 2 accidents she was ready. We taught her a pee pee dance to convey to us whenever she wanted to go potty. She really enjoyed that dance. And very soon, by 18 months, she would rush to her potty and pull down pajamas all by herself.
  5. Night time effort: Got her to potty, before nap or bedtime. She was a milk baby and she absolutely had to have her milk before she went to bed. So, I used to take her to potty around 11:30PM again, she would pee there while still asleep and would have a complete night with no accidents after that.
So, I would say, Potty training does work out in infant and young toddlers. We don't need to wait for 2-3 years to see if they are ready. They are ready even before we realise it. Just a little effort and much patience. Timing matters. Before they start to walk, make them sit on potty, else to make them sit would be a bigger task :)

I would love to hear what worked out for you, if you trained your infant. And share if you think someone would benefit from this piece of information.

No comments:

Post a Comment