Saturday, May 9, 2015

Story of Motherhood: A Sparrow and her four Babies.



Many of you must have followed the pictures that I posted on Facebook a few days back. It was the day when these four little sparrows hatched out from the eggs. Honestly, I wouldn't have allowed the bird's nest in my porch, but unfortunately before I spotted the nest, the eggs were already laid and I had no option but to watch the birds grow and wait until they leave their nest. Quite interestingly, these nests are made in the corner, away from the predator's eye. No wonder, I failed to notice it. From what I have read, it's made by the worker/male birds and is a way to attract the female bird. Better the nest, more chances of gaining female attention. Smart, Isn't it?

So, yes, intially I was little upset about the whole nest thing. The birds were making the porch quite dirty. Plus there were other potential nest makers who hovered around to make another one close to it. I had to keep an eye before they got successful yet again. Yes, sadly I was super uncooperative to them.

But, during this entire process, I got a chance to closely observe the relationship between the mother, father and the baby birds. That was really interesting. I realized, Parents and especially Mothers, be it of an animal, bird or human, are all the same. They have the same motive. Providing love, safety, growth, security, provision, nurturing, satisfaction and compassion to their offspring. The mother sparrow was always bustling for her food, foraging for her nests, and gathering for her young. Every 15-30 min she would come to feed them, everyday for 11 days, until they were old enough to leave the nest and be on the ground, making their first bold steps away from home. During this growing up process, it appeared, one of them had a delayed development as the rest three flew away leaving one behind. Puneet and I assumed that the mother sparrow had abandoned this fourth one and soon it would die. Little did we know, the mother kept on providing this one for 2 additional days, when ultimately it flew. It made us so happy. This is Motherhood. Taking care of all the offspring irrespective of how fast and slow each one grows. The love for all remains the same. The motive for all remains the same.

Day 1
Day 7


 
Day 11, last feed by the mother to three of her fledgelings. One was left behind for 2 additional days.

No matter the spot, no matter the gift, no matter the day… let’s honor mothers from all walks of life -and all sides of nature- for the love they give, the nurturing they offer and for encouraging us to fly when our own wings were so small and unsure! 

Cheers to all Mothers out there! Happy Mother's day to you all! Have an enjoyable weekend. A special shout out to my mother and my mother-in-law. I love you both.

No comments:

Post a Comment