Sunday, September 14, 2014

To my Mother on her birthday

Birthday Celebration two years back at Urbana, IL


I write a lot about being a mother on this blog. And although my daughter is very often my main subject here, I would not be the mother I am today without the presence of one of the most selfless and beautiful women I know in my life– my own mom. 

Now, I can’t say that I had the kind of relationship where I wanted to confide in my mother about my problems, secrets, thoughts or feelings. No, I was a little more closed off than that. But, every mother and daughter share a different connection from the next.

For me, my mother has always been someone who comforted me. She was always there to take care of me when I was sick. She was always there to teach me the morning of a test– for hours at a time. She was always there at my school games, cheering me on. She was always there to help me settle down at my graduation school, post graduation school, first job...always! She was always there whenever I called her and even when I didn't. She was always there to watch movies, go shopping with me. She was there– that was what mattered. She was present. Always, always and always. My clothes were always ironed before school, and she would always pack my favorite food in lunchbox.  She made me feel like I was the most important human being in the world– and maybe, to her, I was.
 
And when I gave birth to my child, I remember I wanted the presence of my rock– my mother. She was there with me for over 3 months. She did everything to make my journey so far smooth.
She is the most selfless and caring human being I have ever known and if I am half the mother she is to me then I am proud.
So, Happy Birthday Mom. I love you. Thank you for always, always being at my side and having my back. Thank you for being my role model– you’re simply the best.

And because I don't say "Thank You" enough, I want to list all the things for which I am so grateful:

For sticking with me through those hellacious teenage years that I was horrible to you… For forgiving me in all the ways I hurt you and for not holding them against me... For bearing with me through all of the times I thought I knew better… For being my #1 prayer warrior... For always putting others before yourself... For treating Puneet as your own son, and loving him just as much… For being the.most.amazing Nani to Aanya that everyone could ever dream of... For telling me I am beautiful… For believing that I am beautiful…

Thank you, Mom!
Happiest of Birthdays, and May this year be your best one yet.





No comments:

Post a Comment