Friday, April 3, 2015

Things Women are expected to Do...

The short film "My Choice" by Homi Adajania, featuring Deepika Padukone and 99 other Indian women, talk about Women Empowerment particularly in context of Clothing, Marriage and Sex. I think it was in response to the Nirbhaya Documentary where the rapist had blamed the women for rape. It's the women who are blamed for everything. Our society expects women to do lot of things, its actually amazing how many rules there are that women ascribe to. And what if you don't follow them? Shame...Shame...Shame. You become undesirable.
Come on, people! Get real. Women who don't follow rules have lot of fun being themselves. They are just so FULL OF LIFE. They are joyful and successful. By being herself, woman becomes much loved and respected. That's Empowerment. To be Oneself. Yes, I don't agree to few parts of the film (in particular to sex outside marriage, because that's cheating), but I do agree everyone, why just women, should have their own choice, their own stand, their own identity. We are living our own life and not someone else's... to follow rules.

Here are few things that I feel should atleast be optional or best, be removed from Women Rulebook...
  1. To Be Nice: Not sure why are we expected to be Nice. Kind, Yes! Nice, No. Kind is good. Kind people go a long way. They can do anything with grace, dignity, humor and courage. I never tell my daughter to be nice, I always remind her to have lots of fun and be kind.
  2.  Apologize: I see women apologizing for every damn thing. " I'm sorry, did I disturb you?", "I am sorry, is this a good time to talk", "I am sorry, but I can't cook today". I am sorry is often irrelevant. "Is it a good time to talk" is thoughtful and that is all you need to be. Unless you hurt someone, please don't apologize.
  3. Explain My Choice: If you want to travel the world, paint the house yellow, learn German, or start a business, it's your own choice and you don't have to explain it to anyone. You don't have to tell the waiter that you are on diet- just order salad. You don't have to justify cutting your hair short- just go to the salon. You don't need an excuse to go to an acting school at 40. Just enroll yourself and go. Obviously, you don't need approval from anyone.
  4. Have Kids: Not everyone want to have kids. Not everyone want to have more than one or two kids. And honestly that's not so bad. Do things in a way you choose to live your life. We all are not the same and it is not a badge of honor to have a child.
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
-Steve Jobs


4 comments:

  1. You get claps from me for this post. So we'll written. ..so beautiful. Loved every word.Kudos!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That's some compliment. I am floored. Thank you for the clap....:)

      Delete
  2. Just in luck to read this blog of yours... You have so nicely interwoven your thoughts into words.. Simply splendid!! I just feel proud that you grace my life by being one of the few cherished friends I treasure... Love you loads!!!

    ReplyDelete