Tuesday, September 23, 2014

You often meet your FATE on the road you take to avoid it...






“You often meet your fate on the road you take to avoid it.” ― Goldie Hawn

I read this quote today and smiled! You know why? This actress, summarized the major events of my life in one simple sentence :) It is so true.

Going back in time, when my parents thought, it was the right time for me to get married. They placed an advertisement in the matrimonial section of Times of India and waited for prospective groom for their daughter, that is Me. What is it that you are looking for, in your life partner? They asked me. And I replied, I am not sure, But I don't want to marry a doctor or a lawyer or a businessman. And he shouldn't be very tall. I don't want to look like a kid when I stand next to him.
Well, my parents understood the first requirement but they could not comprehend the second one. Why height, a big concern? They thought. I rejected few good proposals( according to them) just because the guy was really tall. And somewhere they were unhappy with my decision (Did not say anything, as ultimately it was my life). And......It so happened.....I got in touch with Puneet ( who happened to be my school friend) and after few months one day he proposed me. And I said "Yes". We got married. He is btw 6'3''. Way above my cut off limit :)) The one thing that I avoided, was written in my destiny. Till today, we all laugh at my silly requirement.

And in the year 2010, when I was expecting Aanya... we had just shifted to Yale, New Haven. It was a new place, new hospital, new doctors and I had no clue which gynecologist should I choose. The management there suggested, I get seen by all delivering doctors in rotation at every visit. This way, I won't be uncomfortable during delivery ( as sometimes your gynecologist is not the one delivering). I liked the idea, only on one condition. I did not want to be seen by any male doctors. I successfully avoided meeting both the male doctors of the department....untill the due date. Puneet, took me to the hospital as I was experiencing some pain. To my luck, all the female doctors were busy, one of the male doctor was assigned to see me as it was an emergency. I almost fainted hearing that :) Well, anyways, it was just initial check not the delivery, I thought. I wasn't finished thinking, when the doctor gladly announced "Time for the baby now". Nooooo, I wasn't expecting this. My baby would be delivered by the other male doctor( on call, that day).

I know, you all are smiling at me, right now. Yes, the baby was delivered by the male doctor (Though, I must say, he was really really really good). I tried to avoid both the male doctors of the department but was ultimately been seen by both the last and final day :)

Moral of the stories: You often meet your fate on the road you take to avoid it. Don't let fear decide your fate.


No comments:

Post a Comment