Sunday, October 26, 2014

The Short Hair Experiment...



Like a snake, my medium-length hair slid from my body as the hairstylist chopped it off. My reflection was no longer recognizable. 

I was elated. I was reborn.

I decided to cut my hair because I thought it would lift up my spirits and fulfill my need for change.
In order for a woman to truly find her voice and understand who she is, she must do something extreme. Something beyond her comfort zone, something that allows her to adapt into what once seemed impossible. I think as curious adults we should push our boundaries, explore things that feel uncomfortable, in order to see progress.
Now I can say I did something beyond the ordinary. Something that caused such chaos, creativity and courage for me...

So, the question now arises, Whether the experiment worked or failed? And the answer is, It failed for me. Yes, very soon I realized, short hair is not my thing. Not because, it made me question my femininity or people judged me. None of those. 

The reasons I don't like the short hair are:
  1. You must wash and style it every single day, or it looks greasy. If you have longer hair, though, washing three times a week is good enough, and in fact, is good for preserving the condition and color of your hair.
  2. I miss the pretty braids! I want to wear a braid.
  3. After a few months you're stumped on what to do with your hair because it's not long enough to put up, yet an awkward length to wear down.
  4. On a bad hair day, braid, ponytail or updo just isn’t an option when you have short hair. My hair is naughty, straight and unruly, so I have more bad-hair days than I care to count.
In all, I miss my long hair. But the great thing about hair is that it grows. Nothing is permanent. It’s parallel to life. Everything we encounter and experience is temporary. The lessons they teach us are permanent, though -- forever implanted in our memories for future reference.

No comments:

Post a Comment