Thursday, August 21, 2014

Want and Need...



Mumma, I want to visit Georgia Aquarium again.
I want to buy Nemo fish.
I want to buy a Dress.
I want to go to Hawai.
I want my friends to come home and play with me.
I want to eat cupcakes...

Of lately, there has been lots of wants from Aanya. And honestly, there is nothing wrong with that. As Human beings we are full of desires and want to do all kind of things. Its absolutely normal. So, today I asked her, what she really wants? and she replied "Everything". What an honest answer :)
"But do you really need them?" I asked.
"Yes, I need them because I want them" she replied, without really knowing the difference between the two.

And that makes me wonder, how many of us actually know the difference? In simple terms, Need is something you have to have and Want is something you would like to have.
So, does that mean we should only have things that we need? No, I don't think so. Life is meant to be lived, not survived. Actually, Aanya was not wrong in her reply, when she said she needs them because she wants them. Think about it. To fulfill our wants, we should question ourselves "What I need to get what I want?" For example, I want to buy a Dress, for that we need to have money, time and a way to go to the shop. So, every want is associated with a set of needs/requirements and once you fulfill those, the stuff will be acquired automatically.

Basically, all our wants or desires can be attained, its just that we shouldn't allow ourselves to become slave of them and never mourn on unfulfilled wants. And that's that we need to teach our children- 'Self Control". But how?

Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment