Friday, August 21, 2015

Things I am learning as a Parent...



A lot of women fear they will loose their time in careers through their maternity breaks but I think it's a period of way more learning and maturity. Things that we learn from being a Mommy is something that can be easily applied at work later on.
I learn so much just by observing my daughter, things that she does or things that she say, but what I am really learning as a parent is...

1. To Listen: There is no denying that kids talk non-stop throughout the day. My daughter wants to tell me stories, ask questions, give opinions or whatever it is, she just needs to talk all through the day. At times, it becomes quite challenging to give her full attention while she speaks. It's simple to pretend to be busy with laptop or reading or doing something else, but she gets it when I am really listening and when I am not. So, as a parent I am learning to listen, which is an important skill.

2. Empathy: One morning, I woke up tired. I told everyone that couldn't sleep well the previous night. Aanya asked me WHY I couldn't sleep. I told her I am not sure, maybe monsters kept me awake. Immediately, she gave me her stuffed toy and asked me to sleep with it that night. She ensured, it's by my side before I went to sleep. Next morning, I told her, I slept well and that her 'piggy' was great. She smiled. She was happy. Now every night, I am asked to sleep with it.
Kids display empathy all the time and that they teach us by live examples.

3. To be Fearless: As adults, we fear many things, many illusionary things like fear of unknown, fear of being judged, fear of rejection. But kids are fearless. I am trying hard to conquer my fears, just to be a good role model for Aanya. And it takes a lot to push myself out from my comfort zone like holding a bug, taking initiative in talking to people, dancing in the rain, singing out loud. But I am doing it.

4. Seeing Everyone as Special: To Aanya, everyone is special. She has such beautiful eyes, that she finds everyone special and unique. And that's exactly what we all are. I am trying to clean up my lenses that might have become dirty, so that I can see as clearly as she can.

5. There is no Tomorrow: Everything has to be now. There is no tomorrow. Aanya doesn't still understand when is tomorrow. She lives in the moment and that's really important. Buy a new dress, wear it NOW, who knows tomorrow you won't get a chance to wear it. Bought cupcakes, eat it NOW. Don't keep it for tomorrow. They might not taste good or your taste might change. Plan going to park, go NOW.  I remember, once I had a severe ear pain and I called up the doc to take an appointment, I was told to come after 2 days and I was surprised. I have an ear pain NOW, why do I come after 2 days? It's the same thing...You feel like doing things NOW, do it. Why keep it for after 2 days.

I can actually go on and write many more things I am learning as a parent. Everyday is a new day and Everyday I am thankful to God for the new day. Out of the many things that I have learnt, the most important is that Kids, esp the younger ones, need so much love, much more than we can give. They need to be loved and cared. They are the greatest gift of God...

No comments:

Post a Comment