Monday, March 2, 2015

Learn to Read....

Just last month, we were at Barnes and Nobel browsing books and stuffs. Suddenly I heard a voice...

Mummy, come here.
What is it, Aanya? I said
Come here, I want to show you something.
OK, coming.
Look, I have this book at my school.
Really? OK.
Can I see that book for a second, Mummy?
Sure, here you go.
Come with me Mummy...taking me to the table chair kept there. The next thing that happened simply amazed me.

Mat. Mat sat. Sam.Sam sat. Mat sat. Sam sat. Mat sat on Sam. Sam sat on Mat.....

What? You can read all that? I asked astonishingly.
Yes, I can. I read it at school.
Wow! That's so very nice. I am impressed.
Can you buy this book for me, please?
Ofcourse, I can.

The first thing I did, after returning home, was to order her books from Amazon. She was so excited reading that book to me, all by herself. All this while I had been reading story books to her, she had watched me read all the time. I knew she was reading cards and learning phonics at school, but this came as a big surprise. A good big surprise. The pride in her eyes, the confidence in her words, thrilled me. My 4 yr old had made that giant step into reading. It took me back to my school days and of course, I don't remember when I began reading, but I do remember what my first few self read sentences were. 'Kamla ghar chal. Dheer mut kar.'



This is a set of 12 books and Aanya has been practicing reading everyday now. She loves to read out to me and thanks to these books, we pretend to PLAY school, she being our teacher and we her students :)



Honestly, this post is not about a four year old reading. Its about a mother's excitement of her child's first reading. I am sure most of you who are reading this post look forward to and can relate to this feeling very well. We parents get excited about every small achievement of our children, especially the first ones. Infact, all the first time experiences are worth remembering, whether it's our childrens or our own. We rely so much on memories. Memories of the moments that make us who we are and influence us how we react to the present... first day of school...first act on stage....first ride on a bicycle....first day of college....first paying job....first best friend....first salary....first car.....first home....I have lived all these firsts and I am looking forward to re live those again through Aanya...:)


2 comments:

  1. Wow that's really early. Eeshan started reading when he was 5.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irrespective of when he started to read, I am sure you must be equally thrilled when he did. Right?

      Delete