Sunday, October 19, 2014

Meals Tied to me Forever: My Breakfast Favorites...

Today, I had boiled sprouted moong dal for breakfast and it made me so happy. As in, real happy. I enjoy having sprouts for breakfast. Don't you feel, there are certain meals that are tied to you forever? Meals that are healthy, fills up your tummy, satisfy your taste buds and more importantly are Enjoyable?

There are lots of people who start their day with juices or smoothies. I am not one of them. Honestly, I would rather chew my breakfast than drink it. Sometimes, it feels like there is pressure to do what everyone else is doing or talking about but that wouldn’t make breakfast enjoyable. In order to look forward to breakfast, it needs to consist of something you really want to have.

Here, are my current five favorites:
  • Boiled Sprouted Beans ( Moong dal or Kala Chana)

Soak it overnight. Boil it in the morning. Dress them up with diced tomatoes, chopped onion, cilantro and a teaspoon of lemon juice. I can’t imagine my breakfast life without it. It’s so easy and makes so much sense. These are the platonic ideal of any morning meal.

  • Poha (with peas and potatoes)

 I always have boiled potatoes in my fridge. That ways, making poha becomes so easy and fast. Adding peas and peanuts makes it a powerhouse of nutrients. And we look forward to having it on all weekends. Its like a ritual here :)

  • Avocado Sandwich

 My favorite sandwich. I can eat it with bread or buns. A layer of omelet (or fried egg), sliced tomatoes, sliced avocado and sliced cheese. Yumm!! Ready in just 5 min. The yellow, green and red color of the sandwich leaves me drooling and raises my appetite.

  • Chilla or Pancakes ( Moong dal or besan or mixed dal)

Besan with grated tomato and onion, green chilli and cilantro. This crunchy chilla is one of the most filling meal you can have. Again it can be made in jiffy and is super easy. To make moong dal or mixed dal chilla, I soak dal at night and grind it to paste in the morning or sometimes at night itself. Hence cooking becomes simple in the morning.

  • Bread Toast with Jam


Simplest breakfast ever. When I don't feel like cooking or I am in a real hurry, this is what I have. Whole wheat bread toast with Jam. Simple and delicious.


So that is my way of staying healthy, filling up with good warming filling breakfast.
I am curious to find what you deem to be a good way to start the day, or are you a Cappuccino, Bagel or Donut person?

No comments:

Post a Comment